The Kentucky Derby is one of the most prestigious and exciting horse racing events in the world. Known as the “Run for the Roses,” this iconic race has a rich history and attracts millions of viewers every year. In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the 2023 Kentucky Derby, including its history, schedule, viewing options, and participating horses. Get ready to don your fanciest hat and join in the excitement!
What is The Kentucky Derby?
The Kentucky Derby is the first leg of the American Triple Crown of horse racing, followed by the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes. It is a Grade I stakes race for three-year-old Thoroughbreds at a distance of 1 1/4 miles, held annually at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. The race, often referred to as “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports,” has been held continuously since 1875 and is steeped in tradition, from the iconic mint julep to the extravagant hats worn by spectators.
When is the 2023 Kentucky Derby?
The 2023 Kentucky Derby, marking the 149th running of the race, is scheduled for Saturday, May 6th.
Where is the 2023 Kentucky Derby?
The Kentucky Derby takes place at its traditional venue, Churchill Downs, in Louisville, Kentucky.
What TV channel is the Kentucky Derby on?
NBC is the official broadcaster of the Kentucky Derby in the United States. You can watch the race, along with comprehensive coverage and analysis, on NBC, NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, and the Peacock streaming service.
How to watch the 2023 Kentucky Derby live
To watch the 2023 Kentucky Derby live, you have several options:
- Television: Tune in to NBC on your cable or satellite TV to watch the event live.
- Online Streaming: Visit NBCSports.com, use the NBC Sports app, or subscribe to the Peacock streaming service to watch the race live online.
- Local Viewing Parties: Many bars, restaurants, and other venues may host Kentucky Derby viewing parties. Check your local listings or social media for information on events in your area.
What horses are in the field for the 2023 Kentucky Derby?
The field for the 2023 Kentucky Derby consists of 20 horses that have qualified through the Road to the Kentucky Derby, a series of 35 races worldwide. The list of participating horses may change leading up to the race, so it is crucial to check for updates closer to the event.
As of April 11th, the current list of 20 horses in position for a spot in the 2023 Kentucky Derby is as follows:
- Practical Move
- Angel of Empire
- Tapit Trice
- Two Phil’s
- Lord Miles
- Derma Sotogake (JPN)
- Raise Cain
- Rocket Can
- Hit Show
- Confidence Game
- Sun Thunder
- Wild on Ice
- Blazing Sevens
- Jace’s Road
It is important to note that the field for the 2023 Kentucky Derby may change as the race day approaches. This is because horses may be scratched or replaced due to various factors such as injuries, performance, or connections’ decisions. Therefore, it is recommended to keep an eye on the official Kentucky Derby website and other reliable sources for updates on the participating horses and their standings leading up to the event.
Each horse in the field has earned its spot through the Road to the Kentucky Derby, a series of 35 races held around the world. Horses receive points for finishing in the top four spots in these races, and the 20 horses with the most points at the end of the series are granted entry into the Kentucky Derby. This qualification system ensures that the field is composed of the most talented and well-prepared three-year-old Thoroughbreds, making for a highly competitive and exciting race.
How can I watch horse racing on Peacock?
To watch horse racing on Peacock, you’ll need to sign up for a Peacock subscription. Once subscribed, you can watch live sports, including the Kentucky Derby and other horse racing events, by accessing the Peacock app or website and browsing the available content.
To watch horse racing, including the Kentucky Derby, on Peacock, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Sign up for a Peacock account: Visit the Peacock website or download the Peacock app on your preferred device (smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, or streaming devices like Roku or Amazon Fire TV). Create an account using your email address and choose a subscription plan. Remember that while Peacock Free offers some content, you may need Peacock Premium ($4.99/month with ads) or Peacock Premium Plus ($9.99/month ad-free) for access to live horse racing events like the Kentucky Derby.
- Access the Peacock app or website: Once you have an account and subscription, log in to the Peacock app or website using your credentials.
- Browse or search for horse racing content: You can either browse the available sports content to find horse racing events or use the search function to look for specific races or related content. For the Kentucky Derby, you can search for “Kentucky Derby” or check the sports section during the event’s live coverage.
- Start streaming: Once you find the horse racing event you want to watch, simply click on it to start streaming. Make sure you have a stable internet connection to ensure smooth streaming without interruptions.
In addition to the Kentucky Derby, Peacock may also offer coverage of other notable horse racing events like the Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes, and the Breeders’ Cup, as well as other sports such as NFL, Premier League, and more. Peacock’s extensive library of content ensures that you can enjoy not only live horse racing but also a wide range of movies, TV shows, and other sports events.
What is Peacock TV?
Peacock is a streaming service offered by NBCUniversal, providing access to a vast library of movies, TV shows, and live sports events, including the Kentucky Derby. Peacock offers both free and premium content, with additional features and programming available through its paid plans.
What are the Peacock Plans and Price
Peacock offers a range of subscription plans to cater to different user preferences and budgets. There are three main plans:
- Peacock Free: As the name suggests, this plan is completely free and offers access to a limited library of content, including select movies, TV shows, and some sports content. However, it is important to note that live events such as the Kentucky Derby may not be available on the free plan. Also, the free plan is no longer available for sign up.
- Peacock Premium: Priced at $4.99 per month, this plan provides access to an expanded library of content, including live sports events like the Kentucky Derby, live news, and more movies and TV shows. With Peacock Premium, you can enjoy the full Peacock experience, but the content will be accompanied by ads.
- Peacock Premium Plus: For an ad-free experience, you can opt for Peacock Premium Plus, which costs $9.99 per month. This plan offers all the content available on Peacock Premium without any ads, ensuring a seamless streaming experience.
All three plans offer access to Peacock’s library of movies, TV shows, and sports content, but the Premium and Premium Plus plans have more extensive options and include live events. To watch the Kentucky Derby and other live horse racing events, you’ll need to choose either the Peacock Premium or Peacock Premium Plus plan.
To sign up for a Peacock plan, visit www.peacocktv.com and create an account using your email address. You can then choose your preferred subscription plan and start enjoying the wide range of content available on the platform.
The 2023 Kentucky Derby promises to be an exciting event full of thrilling horse racing, time-honored traditions, and unforgettable moments. With various options to watch the race, including on NBC, NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, and Peacock, you won’t have to miss a second of the action.
Make sure to mark your calendar for Saturday, May 6th, and stay updated on the participating horses and their standings leading up to the big day. Whether you’re a long-time horse racing enthusiast or a newcomer to the sport, the Kentucky Derby is a must-watch event that brings together people from all walks of life to celebrate the best in Thoroughbred racing. So, grab your fanciest hat, prepare a mint julep, and join the excitement of the 149th Kentucky Derby!
The 2023 Kentucky Derby is scheduled for Saturday, May 6th.
Live coverage for the 2023 Kentucky Derby begins at 2:30 PM ET on NBC and Peacock.
The Kentucky Derby takes place at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky.
The Kentucky Derby will be broadcast on NBC.
You can stream the Kentucky Derby live on Peacock, NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app.
Sign up for a Peacock account (Premium or Premium Plus) at peacock website, log in, and search for the Kentucky Derby or other horse racing events in the app or on the website.
As of April 11th, the current list of 20 horses in position for a spot in the Derby includes Forte, Practical Move, Angel of Empire, Tapit Trice, Two Phil’s, Lord Miles, Derma Sotogake (JPN), Kingsbarns, Raise Cain, Rocket Can, Hit Show, Confidence Game, Verifying, Sun Thunder, Wild on Ice, Mage, Blazing Sevens, Reincarnate, Jace’s Road, and Skinner. Keep in mind that this list may change as the race day approaches.